In Risk Of Rain Returns, there is a total of 15 playable characters out of which you can only select 2 at the beginning of the game. The rest 13 characters can be unlocked by playing the game and completing some of the quests. The two playable characters are Commando and Huntress who uses a rifle and bow as primary weapon.
After completing each stage, the next stage can be randomly assigned between two or three maps. To unlock a specific character you need to be on a specific map that might depend on your luck. Below you will find a brief guide on how to unlock all characters.
Risk Of Rain Returns How To Unlock All Characters
The list of characters is as follows:
- Enforcer – You need to defeat the Magma Worm, Colossus Bosses, and Wandering Vagrant in different runs. These bosses mostly appear in the first or second stage at the end after activating the portal.
- Acrid – To unlock this character you need to find a chest in the map “Sunken Tombs”. You can reach this map after completing the second stage. You can either get this stage or randomly another one, depending on your luck.
If you do get to this stage, go towards the top right side of the map and climb the platform, inside the chest, you will find Acrid whom you need to fight and defeat. Once defeated you will unlock this character.
- Bandit – Complete the third stage.
- Drifter – You need to activate 6 drones in a single playthrough.
- Chef – In a single playthrough you need to have Meat Nugget, Sprouting Egg, Bitter Root, and Bustling Fungus. You also need to have Foreign equipment equipped. You can do this easily by containing the Artifact Of Command.
- Artificer – Reach 10 unique maps in multiple playthroughs.
- Loader – Obtain 30 unique items by opening the white chest in a single playthrough.
- Han-D – In the final stage “Contact Light” map you need to visit the leftmost side of the map. There will be four rooms that will not be numbered, but you need to visit the second room. This room will be more destroyed than the other three. In this room, you need to find a big grey cargo door. On the left side of the door, you will find a shipping container. Climb the first container and then open the second one to unlock Han-D.
- Engineer – Activate 40 drones in multiple playthroughs.
- Mercenary – Complete the game five times.
- Pilot – Collect 15 Monster logs, randomly dropped after killing them.
- Sniper – Complete the game once.
- Miner – In the stage “The Magma Barracks”, you need to visit the bottom right part of the map. To reach that part you will have to cross through the pool of lava while taking damage. To take minimum damage, you can have the item Hopoo feather that gives you double jump ability. Make sure you have a lot of health as on the other side you will find a mini-boss whom you need to defeat.