In Wasteland 3, you have an opportunity to create your own customized character and build up according to your choices or use pre-designed members of Rangers Squad. All the Attributes, Backgrounds, Skills, and Quirks are already set if you pick the suggested characters and gather members according to the squad that is missing. Though these pre-designed members have unique dialogues throughout the game but still you are not missing anything when you have an understanding of the best Skill Builds and Quirks to go altogether. In this guide, we have mentioned all the skills, quirks which has a synergy with certain backgrounds.
Best Quirk And Best Background To Obtain For Wasteland 3
Once you start customizing your character there are multiple options such as:
- Starting Weapon
Skipping the character creation part, we straight forward go to the Starting Weapon in order to plan which type of character you want to build.
The weapons you will be allowed to choose are provided below:
- ASSAULT RIFLE
- SUBMACHINE GUN
- SEMI-AUTO PISTOL
- PUMP SHOTGUN
- SNIPER RIFLE
- BLADED WEAPON
- BLUNT WEAPON
- BRAWLING WEAPON
- HEAVY WEAPON
All your class may revolve around the type of weapon you want to let each character have. A total of 6 Rangers can be in the squad and 7 if you count an animal companion, so you can focus each character to excel in different types of weapons. Once you have selected the weapon which would shape up a Ranger with a unique class with respect to the background, quirks, and perks. For example- Sniper on your team can either be made sneaky or focus on his dmg more.
These are the list of the Backgrounds from whom you can select any 1 to have.
- BOOKWORM: XP bonus +5%
- DESERT CAT: Perception +1
- DISCIPLE OF THE METAL: Fire Dmg Bonus +15%
- EXPLODOMANIAC: Explosive Dmg Bonus +15%
- GOAT KILLER: Critical Chance +5%
- GREASE MONKEY: Bonus Dmg To Robots And Vehicles +10%
- LETHAL WEAPON: Melee Dmg Bonus +10%
- MANNERITE: Kiss Ass +1
- MONEYBAGS: Barter +1
- MOPEY POET: Evasion +5%
- PALADIN: Crit Resistance +10%
- RAIDER HATER: Bonus Dmg To Humans +10%
- SEX MACHINE: Combat Speed +0.2
- STONER: Status Effect Resistance +10%
- THE BOSS: Hard Ass +1
- VICIOUS AVENGER: Penetration +2
Choosing the best background in Wasteland 3 from these would depend on your build type. The defensive background may be useful in the late game but in the early game, it is not much worth as other offensive backgrounds. Though there are few backgrounds which are more useful than others such as-
Bookworm is a neutrally good background as it increases the amount of XP gained which in turn allows you to earn more Skill points and attributes points.
Disciple Of The Metal is one of the best backgrounds as you have an opportunity to mod weapons and add fire dmg, hence increasing fire dmg is an absolute beast for your Pyromaniac.
Explodomaniac is also one of the best backgrounds as your explosive damages are buffed. You can simply destroy multiple targets at once when your character specializes in heavy weaponry.
Grease Monkey is a selective background that depends if you want to invest a character specializing in beating the robots and vehicles only otherwise it is not worth selecting it.
Lethal Weapon is a background which is must for all brawler or melee type character specialist. An increase in Melee Dmg paired up with Medical Marvel quirk and maxed Strength attribute is an undying brawler.
Mopey Poet may not be one of the best backgrounds but it is worth mentioning as you can use it to build an elusive character who can dodge almost most of the incoming damage without breaking a sweat.
Vicious Avenger is a background useful in any type of build focusing on penetration damage to the enemy. The highest damage dealer in your squad can equip this background along with few attributes and quirk that increases penetration and outgoing damages. Equipment which increases penetration and ranged weapon damage is a blessing to pair with.
These are the Attributes mentioned below which would increase the following stats of a character in Wasteland 3.
- Action Points
- Status Effect Resistance
It is essential to increase the Action Points which is required to move as well as shoot an enemy. Instead of investing your points on maximizing it instantly, you can slowly build up the co-ordination per 2 levels.
- Lucky Action Chance
- Lucky Crit Chance
- Lucky Mega Crit Chance
- Lucky Evade Chance
- Lucky Crit Resist Chance
- Lucky Double Healing Chance
- Lucky Double Money Chance
- Lucky Double Scrap Chance
It is an absolute attribute to max out first as the damage dealer on your team. They may like to have maximum Penetration points as well as all lucky crit chances and lucky action chance for attacking multiple enemies.
- Hit Chance
- Ranged Damage Bonus
Awareness can be increased and maxed out by any one of the characters who use a ranged weapon. As Perception is awarded, you don’t want every single range character to invest in Awareness, though it can be increased later by characters who wield ranged weapons for extra bonus damage.
- Con Per Level
- Melee Damage Bonus
- Throwing Range
- Equip Items Requiring x Strength Without Penalties
Either Brawler type or heavy weapon type characters can max out Strength as there are heavy weapons and armor that requires high Strength to equip. Increased Melee Damage Bonus is a go-to for a Brawler attribute in Wasteland 3.
- Combat Speed
It is very useful for the melee or semi ranged characters. Having an initiative is useful as every time you can start the battle and reduce any casualties.
- Critical Chance
- Critical Damage
- Critical Heal Chance
- Critical Heal Bonus
- Gain +1 SP every 2 Intelligence
Intelligence is a must as increasing its 2 levels will allow us to gain a Skill Point along with Critical Chance and Damage for Healers as they are more focused on providing support. To be fair they can max out Intelligence and gain more stats advantage from it than any other class due to Critical Heal Chance and Bonus. Snipers and Heavy Weapon can also gain favor from Critical Chance and Damage later.
- Strike Rate
- Leadership Range
- Exp Bonus
- Mission Reward Bonus
Investing your maximum Charisma point to gain huge Leadership Range and Exp bonus for a single character is enough and most powerful as he/she might be awarded Levels every once in a while. Stacking it up with Bookworm Background and Poindexter quirk is an absolute mad lad.
Skills are divided into 4 different types by which your character chooses to use their SP in Wasteland 3.
- Combat Skills
- AUTOMATIC WEAPONS
- BIG GUNS
- MELEE COMBAT
- SMALL ARMS
- SNIPER RIFLES
- General Skills
- ANIMAL WHISPERER
- FIRST AID
- SNEAKY SHIT
- WEIRD SCIENCE
- Exploration Skills
- ARMOR MODDING
- NERD STUFF
- TOASTER REPAIR
- WEAPON MODDING
- Social Skills
- HARD ASS
- KISS ASS
- BLUNDERER: Melee Dmg Bonus +15%, Critical Chance -50%
- BOP BAG: Armor +6, Combat Speed -0.4
- CIRCUS FREAK: Combat Speed +0.4, Crit Resistance +25%, Evasion -10%, Detection Time -1s
- DEATH WISH: Action Points +3 (Cannot wear armor)
- DOOMSDAY PREPPER: Status Effect Resistance (Cannot Read Skill Books)
- LONE WOLF: Initiative +20% (Leadership has no benefits)
- MEDICAL MARVEL: CON per level +5 (Cannot be revived during combat)
- MIME: Detection Time +2s, CON -10, Throwing Range -0.5m
- POINDEXTER: CON -8, CON per Level -3 (+1 bonus Skill Point every 2 Level-ups)
- PROSPECTOR: Quick Slots -1 (Occasionally discover valuable gold nuggets while digging)
- PYROMANIAC: Fire Dmg Bonus +25%, Explosive Dmg Bonus +25% (15% chance to catch on fire when using explosives)
- SADOMASOCHIST: Melee Dmg Bonus +33%, Ranged Dmg Bonus (Receive +33% dmg)
- SERIAL KILLER: Action Points -1(Gain +3AP for each kill in combat once per turn)
- TWO-PUMP CHUMP: Start Combat with +2AP for the first 2 turns. After the first 2 turns, lose -1 AP and -15% hit chance for 6 turns.
- VARANGIAN BLOOD: When an ally is Downed in combat, enter Berserker Rage, gaining +100% critical chance and +3 AP for 1 turn. After Berserker Rage ends, -4 AP for 2 turns.
- WASTE ROAMER: Resistance to all Status +100%, Exp Bonus -15%
- WAY OF THE SQUEEZINS: Melee Dmg Bonus -20%, Ranged Dmg Bonus -20% (Gain +50% dmg while drunk)
These are possible builds in Wastelands 3 which you can try but there are multiple ways in which you can favor your character stats. Social skills are important such as Hard Ass and Kiss Ass but as they are not combat based, so it is not mentioned in the below builds but having a character who has maximum skill in social is quite beneficial during dialogues. However, these are the personal builds which we tried and can spice up your game style.
Background: Mopey Poet
Skills: Melee Combat, Sneaky Shit, Survival
Attributes: Co-ordination, Speed, Luck
Big Boy (Heavy Weapon)
Background: Disciple Of The Metal / Explodomaniac
Quirk: Varangian Blood / Pyromaniac
Skills: Big Guns, Nerd Stuff, Armor/Weapon Modding, Mechanics
Attributes: Co-ordination, Strength, Awareness
Background: Lethal Weapon
Quirk: Lone Wolf
Skills: Brawling, Mechanics, Toaster Repair
Attributes: Co-ordination, Charisma, Intelligence, Strength
Scientist Or Support
Skills: Explosives, Weird Science, Nerd Stuff, Leadership
Attributes: Charisma, Co-ordination, Awareness
Medic (Semi-Auto Pistol)
Quirk: Waste Roamer
Skills: Small Arms, First Aid, Lockpicking
Attributes: Intelligence, Luck, Awareness
Sniper (Sniper Rifle)
Background: Vicious Avenger
Skills: Sniper Rifles, Sneaky Shit, Animal Whisperer
Attributes: Luck, Awareness, Intelligence
Quirk: Waste Roamer/ Bop Bag/ Medical Marvel
Skills: Melee Combat (Shrug It Off), Explosives (Duck And Cover), Armor Modding
Attributes: Co-ordination, Strength, Awareness
We will keep on trying new builds and update it on this post, so make sure you check it frequently to not miss it. For more guides on Wasteland 3, click on the following links that have been mentioned below the description:
- How To Revive And Heal Your Teammate In Wasteland 3
- How To Respec And Assign Skills, Attributes And Perks
- Golden Toaster Animal Companion Who Spits Fire
- Mysterious Case And What To Do With It?
- Major Tomcat Easy Recruiting Trick In Wasteland 3
- The Prisoner Who Ate Mushroom All Choice Consequences
- October 11 Choices Result For Wolfes Hunt
- Heads Or Tails Mission Guide And Consequences
- All Synth Location For Wolfe’s Hunt
- Del Hackett Choice Guide And Consequences
- Morningstar Choices Result And Fishlips Recruitment
- Faran Brygo Choices Result And Big Trouble In Little Vegas Walkthrough
- All Creepy Dolls Location And Their Bonus Effects
- How To Recruit Chef Masato And Collect Instant Ramen Noodles
- Unwelcome Guests Choices Result And Walkthrough