In just a month duration Publisher EA and Developer Dice will be fully releasing the reboot of the most famous franchise Star Wars Battlefront 2. needless to say it one of the most anticipated games of 2017 but even before it’s release, it has started receiving backlash from the gaming community due to the introduction of loot boxes.
During the beta phase players well able to notice the presence of the in-game currency called Crystals and although the feature was not functional gamers got angry about it as essentially the Crystals can be used to buy loot boxes which grant user random items like weapons, ability card and more.
The confusion over Crystals as a currency got confirmed when Amazon posted a new listing which detailed the name, price and the items you can acquire from using it. the price ranged from $5 for 500 Crystals up to $100 for 12000 Crystals.
EA and Dice are currently receiving massive criticism for the new microtransaction feature. some gamers said that they would cancel their Pre-Order and some said that they just won’t buy a pay to win game. to keep the situation under control EA posted a new blog on their official website about Star Wars Battlefront 2 loot boxes which said the following below
We know you have a lot of questions about Crates and progression, so we want to clarify a few things, as the complete system was not in the Beta and will continue to be tuned over time:
- There are many things you can earn in the game, including weapons, attachments, credits, Star Cards, Emotes, Outfits, and Victory Poses.
- As a balanced goal, we’re working towards having the most powerful items in the game only earnable via in-game achievements.
- Crates will include a mix of-of Star Cards, Outfits, Emotes or Victory Poses.
- Players earn crates by completing challenges and other gameplay milestones, or by purchasing them with in-game credits or Crystals, our premium currency.
- If you get a duplicate Star Card in a crate, you will get crafting parts which you can then use to help upgrade the Star Card of your choice.
- And lastly, you have to earn the right to be able to upgrade Star Cards and unlock most Weapons. You can only upgrade or unlock them if you have reached a high enough rank, which is determined by playing the game.
Now the most interesting point in their statement is the last one and it seems like there would be a game mechanics to stop people from just buying loot boxes for powerful weapons, ability card and more. as it states you can earn cards and weapons but can only use it if you reach a certain rank.
Doesn’t seems like a full solution as you just grind and level up but still it better than a pay to win system and also we can hope for far better rules and balance in-game upon full release as EA itself said.
We will work to make sure the system is balanced both for players who want to earn everything, as well as for players who are short on time and would like to move faster in their progress towards various rewards.
Though gamers don’t like microtransaction they are fine with it as long as it doesn’t make the multiplayer part of the game unbalanced. its like other major multiplayer game like Dota 2, CS: GO and League Of Legends all of them has loot boxes but nobody really cares about it because it does not ruin the gameplay.
Star Wars Battlefront 2 will be releasing on 17 November 2017 for PC, PS4 and Xbox One.